POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm asking... uh, dude... why? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  I'm asking... uh, dude... why? (Message 11 to 20 of 56)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why?
Date: 11 Jan 2008 07:07:24
Message: <kvmeo3hm10763945ti4m601fge11ca9nno@4ax.com>
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:44:24 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>But I take your point: If we hire, say, six trainee IT people, once I
>finish training them all I wouldn't have much work to do.

Well not IT work. :)

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jan 2008 07:42:49
Message: <47876449@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> For a start you can configure security on a per-port basis, ie limit
> access to MAC address etc.
>
> Then you can make rules for dropping packets, based on MAC address, IP
> address etc.  Ie you could prevent the sockets in your conference room
> from seeing your mail server unless a known MAC address was plugged in.
>
> You can also have it notify you if an unknown MAC address appears on the
> switch.
>
> And a load of QoS stuff.
>
> We also have our VoIP network going through the same switch as our data
> network, this needs to be configured too.
>
> They're far from simple boxes.

Then it's not a switch, is it?

A switch is a device that just connects network nodes together. What
you're describing is a firewall and/or router.

Either way, we don't need any of the stuff you're describing.

[I notice HQ is very keen to implement VoIP though, even though we don't
need it. On further investigation, it turns out that while the UK
already has a perfectly good telephone system, HQ doesn't. So it would
be more accurate to say that HQ needs VoIP...]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/