POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm asking... uh, dude... why? : Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why?
From: scott
Date: 11 Jan 2008 08:20:44
Message: <47876d2c@news.povray.org>
> No, but the fact that it's looking at (and changing) IP headers does.

Don't think my switch changes any IP headers, it just either routes them
somewhere or doesn't based on a set of rules.

I thought a switch just dealt with stuff in one network address space, eg
you use it to simply provide enough sockets for everyone to connect into
something else, and it just send unmodified packets to the right place.  A
router however connects two different networks together, and has things like
port forwarding, NAT, modifying the IP headers etc.

Or maybe I'm completely off track as I'm no expert, that's just based on my
experience with working with things labelled as "routers" and "switches".

> Besides, the fact remains: We don't need this.

Didn't this come up before when you told us about this?  I'm sure everyone
explained to you some of the benefits of the more pricey switches.  Was your
post just because you were surprised how configurable a switch can be?