POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm asking... uh, dude... why? : Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm asking... uh, dude... why?
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jan 2008 08:41:26
Message: <47877206$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> No, but the fact that it's looking at (and changing) IP headers does.
>
> Don't think my switch changes any IP headers, it just either routes them
> somewhere or doesn't based on a set of rules.
>
> I thought a switch just dealt with stuff in one network address space,
> eg you use it to simply provide enough sockets for everyone to connect
> into something else, and it just send unmodified packets to the right
> place.  A router however connects two different networks together, and
> has things like port forwarding, NAT, modifying the IP headers etc.
>
> Or maybe I'm completely off track as I'm no expert, that's just based on
> my experience with working with things labelled as "routers" and
> "switches".

The idea is that a hub just forwards everything, whereas a switch looks
at the Ethernet headers and attempts to make an intelligent choice about
which way to forward [defaulting back to forwarding everywhere if it
doesn't know which way is the correct way].

The device I'm looking at is routing traffic between different IP
networks, which requires looking not only at Ethernet headers but IP
headers as well. That's a seperate level of complexity.

>> Besides, the fact remains: We don't need this.
>
> Didn't this come up before when you told us about this?  I'm sure
> everyone explained to you some of the benefits of the more pricey
> switches.  Was your post just because you were surprised how
> configurable a switch can be?

Well, you said "my device can do X, Y and Z". I was just noting that we
don't need to be able to do any of those things. That's all.

All we need is a device to connect some nodes together...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/