POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything (Message 19 to 28 of 28)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything
Date: 19 Nov 2007 23:49:06
Message: <47426742$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> I'm told by other physicists that the zero-point energy might actually
>> be tappable, or at least that there's no entropic reason it couldn't be.
>
>   Does that mean we might get a real-life gravity gun (aka. zero-point
> energy field manipulator) someday?-)

Well, the "zero-point energy" is (amongst other things) the remaining
jiggle in atoms even at absolute-zero. It *has* to be there, because
without it, you'd know both the momentum and position precisely. It's
the "heat" that keeps liquid helium from freezing. It's the energy that
comes from spontaneous pair creation and destruction. It's the driver of
the Casimir effect.

Whether it has anything to do with gravity is unknown yet. We'll know,
when the ToE is found that actually predicts accurately.

But this was more a discussion of whether essentially could you build a
battery that never goes flat.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it

Post a reply to this message

> I'm told by other physicists that the zero-point energy might actually
> be tappable, or at least that there's no entropic reason it couldn't be.

	Interesting. Have no idea - my statistical mechanics is quite weak, and
I never learned much of it anyway.

--
ASCII stupid question... get a stupid ANSI!

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message