POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything : Re: An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything
From: Phil Cook
Date: 21 Nov 2007 10:14:30
Message: <op.t15ds2d6c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:10:11 -0000, Tim Cook
<z99### [at] bellsouthnet> did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> And lo on Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:38:17 -0000, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
>> did spake, saying:
>>>   Isn't that kind of contradictory with the very definition of absolute
>>> zero temperature? By definition if there's movement it's not absolute
>>> zero.
>> To tie this back to your original query the concept of absolute zero
>> resided in 'classical' science whereas ZPE belongs in quantum science.
>> Once again we have two otherwise accurate methods disagreeing.
>
> Not as such; if absolute zero is defined as the temperature at which all
> molecular motion ceases, and ZPE is an accurate description of what
> exists, then one simply says "absolute zero is an unattainable property
> due to the phenomenon of zero-point energy".

But we know absolute zero is unattainable in non-isolated systems due to
the implications of the second law of thermodynamics without the
requirements of ZPE, however ZPE seems to set a limit on isolated systems
too. IOW from a classical viewpoint there appears to be no reason why 0K
for an isolated system cannot be achieved, but there is in quantum theory.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com