POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything : Re: An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything
From: Alain
Date: 20 Nov 2007 10:17:22
Message: <4742fa82$1@news.povray.org>
Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/20 04:38:
>> Well, the "zero-point energy" is (amongst other things) the remaining
>> jiggle in atoms even at absolute-zero.
>
>   Isn't that kind of contradictory with the very definition of absolute
> zero temperature? By definition if there's movement it's not absolute zero.
>
>> It *has* to be there, because
>> without it, you'd know both the momentum and position precisely.
>
>   Did Heisenberg really state that the principle applies at all possible
> temperatures, including absolute zero? Does it break some kind of universal
> law (like conservation of energy or conservation of momentum) if at absolute
> zero the uncertainty principle does not apply?

ZPE is also the total energy of every photon that fits within any given finite
space, limited by it's wave length. In any volume you will find at least one
photon for every wave length that is less or equal than the dimentions of that
volume.
Now, how much energy does a single gamma ray photon cary? And now, how many
times it's wave length fits within an hydrogen atom?

--
Alain
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.