POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything : Re: An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Nov 2007 23:49:06
Message: <47426742$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> I'm told by other physicists that the zero-point energy might actually
>> be tappable, or at least that there's no entropic reason it couldn't be.
>
>   Does that mean we might get a real-life gravity gun (aka. zero-point
> energy field manipulator) someday?-)

Well, the "zero-point energy" is (amongst other things) the remaining
jiggle in atoms even at absolute-zero. It *has* to be there, because
without it, you'd know both the momentum and position precisely. It's
the "heat" that keeps liquid helium from freezing. It's the energy that
comes from spontaneous pair creation and destruction. It's the driver of
the Casimir effect.

Whether it has anything to do with gravity is unknown yet. We'll know,
when the ToE is found that actually predicts accurately.

But this was more a discussion of whether essentially could you build a
battery that never goes flat.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it