POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything : Re: An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 20 Nov 2007 11:15:21
Message: <47430819$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Well, the "zero-point energy" is (amongst other things) the remaining
>> jiggle in atoms even at absolute-zero.
>
>   Isn't that kind of contradictory with the very definition of absolute
> zero temperature? By definition if there's movement it's not absolute zero.

	From Wikipedia:

"Absolute zero is the point at which particles have a minimum energy,
determined by quantum mechanical effects, which is called the zero-point
energy."

	I guess one can define absolute zero your way as well - but then it
becomes physically unattainable.

>   Did Heisenberg really state that the principle applies at all possible
> temperatures, including absolute zero? Does it break some kind of universal
> law (like conservation of energy or conservation of momentum) if at absolute
> zero the uncertainty principle does not apply?

	Don't know if Heisenberg stated it, but I think physicists believe it
does. What makes those universal laws and not this?

--
ASCII stupid question... get a stupid ANSI!

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl