POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game Engines Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:09:43 EDT (-0400)
  Game Engines (Message 8 to 17 of 17)
From: Rune
Subject: Re: Game Engines
Date: 12 Nov 2007 17:56:49
Message: <4738da31$1@news.povray.org>
"Darren New" wrote:
> I admit it's a pretty vague question, more something to start thinking
> about than something that would have an answer.
>
> So what bits aren't done yet?  What plug-ins would you want available?

It's a bit fuzzy. Let's take rendering engines as an example. Let's say we
have the engines A, B and C. Each of them support a set of features,
including state-of-the-art features, but none of them have it all. So if you
need *all* state of the art features in your game, no rendering engine
exists for that. However, some of the engines may come with source code, and
there's a good chance that extending one of those to include the missing
features will be less work than making a whole new graphics engine from
scratch.

> And what's a good tutorial on the state-of-the-art of "AI" in game
> engines?

You don't need a tutorial for that; you need a bookshelf. There are few
completely new techniques used in state-of-the-art AI - rather, it's old
techniques that have been extended, recombined and made more advanced to a
very high degree. This means that it's not very easy to summarize.

> I look at the unreal engine, and from what I've read so far, "AI" seems to
> imply "figure out what direction the player is from here, and figure out
> how to get there."

To a high degree yes, but it's also:
- how to attack the enemy while keeping oneself in minimum danger (seeking
cover)
- how to cooperate to best take out the enemy while not getting in each
other's way
- how to percieve and correctly use the environment, like elevators,
sidewalks, terminals, cannons...

...and that's just in FPS-games. These task sound simple, but in reality
they're far from "not especially difficult".

> Not especially difficult AI. What sorts of things
> do "AI" programs in games really do?

In games like Oblivion and Grand Theft Auto, NPC's must evaluate their needs
and plan ways to satisfy them - like go to a shop and buy some food, then
return home, sit at your table and eat the food. If the shop keeper has been
killed, another shop must be found - or there is the option of stealing
food. Every decision must furthermore be based on the NPC's knowledge of the
world, which may be outdated. An internal model of the world must be kept in
the NPC's memory, so it doesn't seem to know things it isn't supposed to be
able to know.

Other types of games have completely different requirements for AI. For
example race-simulations and fighter games.

Rune

Post a reply to this message