POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game Engines : Re: Game Engines Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game Engines
From: St
Date: 12 Nov 2007 18:16:43
Message: <4738dedb$1@news.povray.org>
news:47389a96$1@news.povray.org...

> Like, already, most engines don't do the mesh editting, as far as I can
> see.

    I don't know about other engines, but CryEngine2 now has a basic mesh
editor within the program. I say basic, but it may not be, it 'looks' basic
to me.

> So what bits aren't done yet?  What plug-ins would you want available?

     I'll think about that one after I've played the full Crysis game...  ;)

> And what's a good tutorial on the state-of-the-art of "AI" in game
> engines? I look at the unreal engine, and from what I've read so far, "AI"
> seems to imply "figure out what direction the player is from here, and
> figure out how to get there."  Not especially difficult AI. What sorts of
> things do "AI" programs in games really do?

    Well, in the Crysis demo, if you shoot at a grunt from a mediocre
distance, say, 300 to 500 yards(?), you'll have a hell of a job to kill him
through your 'scope as he strafes from side to side rather than running for
the hills crying for Mum... ;)  Seriously, I think the guys at Crytek have
looked into this side of it more compared to FarCry and perhaps other
companies games too.

     Can't wait for the Full to see what really happens. Four days? WooHoo!
:)

   (Check out their editor when it comes out Darren, and see how they do it,
it's just brilliant! Unseriously buggy, (everything works), but brilliant!)

       ~Steve~