POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game Engines : Re: Game Engines Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game Engines
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Dec 2007 22:30:59
Message: <47576cf3$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> What's missing to make that happen?

Actually, I thought of a couple other things.

Getting AI friendlies to do what you want them to would seem to be a
difficult thing. It's pretty awkward right now, interface-wise.
Populus-style instructions, HL2-style instructions, Darwinia-style
instructions, none of them really seem satisfactory.

Conversations (between PC and NPC) are awkward, interface-wise. The
"pick a response from the menu" mechanism never seemed especially
in-game realistic. Of course, games where you have non-cutscene
conversations with others (IME) are usually telling a story, but it
would seem this is something we haven't figured out how to do even with
a 100x increase in compute power.

Or have games I haven't played improved this sort of thing?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it