POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yeah, that again... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Yeah, that again... (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Yeah, that again...
Date: 30 Oct 2007 15:55:09
Message: <47279a2d$1@news.povray.org>
I'm surprised nobody commented on this one...

http://blog.orphi.me.uk/archives/153

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Yeah, that again...
Date: 30 Oct 2007 16:26:42
Message: <4727a192$1@news.povray.org>

> I'm surprised nobody commented on this one...
>
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/archives/153

IMHO, keep that paragraph.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 30 Oct 2007 16:41:03
Message: <4727a4ef@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> IMHO, keep that paragraph.

LOL! Thanks for the advice... I'll let you know if it leads to a
promotion. ;-)

(Weirder things have happened.)

It's true though. On the surface, the regulations say that you have to
actually test stuff before you go and use it, to make sure it really
does work properly. Which, inconvenient though it is, seems perfectly
reasonable. However, what we have hear is people make me perform a test
purely for the "warm fuzzly feeling" you get from being able to say
"hey, we tested something, and it worked. That's good, right? Right??"

For those of you that grok this stuff, the real problem boils down to
the fact that I'm being asked to perform a "validation" when really it's
a *performance qualification* that is indicated. (But we don't do those
in the first place. But it would "look bad" if we didn't do any testing
at all - even though none is actually necessary, it would still look
bad.) Hence the silly testing. *sigh*

Post a reply to this message

> It's true though. On the surface, the regulations say that you have to
> actually test stuff before you go and use it, to make sure it really
> does work properly. Which, inconvenient though it is, seems perfectly
> reasonable. However, what we have hear is people make me perform a test
> purely for the "warm fuzzly feeling" you get from being able to say
> "hey, we tested something, and it worked. That's good, right? Right??"

Testing after any change seems like a good idea. Unless the test takes
more than five minutes. And you mentioned months on your blog post; so
they can put the test in thei-- ERROR: NNTP connection reset by peer.

Post a reply to this message

>> It's true though. On the surface, the regulations say that you have to
>> actually test stuff before you go and use it, to make sure it really
>> does work properly. Which, inconvenient though it is, seems perfectly
>> reasonable. However, what we have hear is people make me perform a
>> test purely for the "warm fuzzly feeling" you get from being able to
>> say "hey, we tested something, and it worked. That's good, right?
>> Right??"
>
> Testing after any change seems like a good idea. Unless the test takes
> more than five minutes. And you mentioned months on your blog post; so
> they can put the test in thei-- ERROR: NNTP connection reset by peer.

Define "change".

The computers will be unplugged, moved from one building to another, and
plugged back in.

It's not like I'm changing any settings or anything. Just the physical
location of the boxes. It's not like software has yet reached the point
of being aware of its surroundings.

[Insert paranoid delusional remarks here.]

Post a reply to this message