POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core (Message 161 to 170 of 170)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
Date: 5 Nov 2007 10:20:00
Message: <472f34a0@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> And I think the problem here is that software writers *expect* to just
>> be able to waste RAM whenever they feel like it because, after all,
>> "everybody has lots of RAM now, don't they?"
>
> Yup, and in the same way that game writers make 3D models with 200k
> faces instead of 200 faces, just because everyone has a decent 3D card
> nowadays.

No, that's not *wasting* the extra GPU power, that's *using* the extra
GPU power to do something useful. That's a good thing. (And typically
you can still run using an older GPU because each mesh usually has
multiple LOD versions anyway.)

What I object to is software *wasting* resources (CPU, RAM, etc.) just
because it can. There's really no need for that.

Post a reply to this message