POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Alain
Date: 5 Nov 2007 11:06:54
Message: <472f3f9e$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/04 13:34:
> Alain wrote:
>> Upgrading your RAM is a snap!
>
> Assuming you can still purchase RAM for your old machine, and assuming
> you know what RAM you need for the machine, and assuming you have slots
> free, and assuming the balancing between slots is right (i.e., that
> you're not plugging 1G into one slot and 128M into another slot that
> upsets the BIOS), it's straightforward.
Why would that cause any problem? Unless you have dual chanels, you can have all
different capacity modules without any problem: personal experience with
different computers, different brand mobos, different brand RAMs.

> But yah, it's maybe one step harder than replacing your hard drive, with
> the benefit that it's volatile, so every program already accounts for
> losing the data in it. :-)

I can no longer find DDR266, but 1G DDR400 have no problem coexisting with my
512M DDR266. Both run as DDR266, one at full speed and 1 is underclocked. As
long as it can actualy fit in a slot, it does work.
If you have dual channels, then you need to have matched pairs, but the pairs
from 2 different banks don't need to be matched.

--
Alain
Adult, n.: One old enough to know better.