POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : domain names for large companies Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  domain names for large companies (Message 15 to 24 of 24)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: domain names for large companies
Date: 12 Sep 2007 11:28:38
Message: <46e805a6@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:12:36 +0200, scott wrote:

>>> Would it make any difference if I ran a small company called 'Nokia
>>> Gizmos' or something that nobody had every heard of?  Do they have
>>> more right to it than be just because they are a bigger well-known
>>> multi-national company?
>>
>> Depends on whether you have a basis for choosing the name other than
>> cyber-squatting.
>
> If my surname was Nokia?

See example of Mike Rowe....But you *might* be able to get away with it,
depending on how you used it.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Ross
Date: 12 Sep 2007 13:14:23
Message: <46e81e6f$1@news.povray.org>
"Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote in message
> And lo on Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:33:40 +0100, scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> did
> spake, saying:
>
> > Say for instance I bought www.nokia.com long before Nokia realised they
> > needed a website.  Do they have any right to force me to give-up that
> > domain name, just because they are a huge multi-national company, or is
> > it just tough luck and they have to pay me whatever it will take?
> >
> > Would it make any difference if I ran a small company called 'Nokia
> > Gizmos' or something that nobody had every heard of?  Do they have more
> > right to it than be just because they are a bigger well-known
> > multi-national company?
>
> You're heading into trademark land. Remember Apple, the two  were
> operating in different spheres hence no problem.

Until Apple went into music, right? I thought that is when the Apple -vs-
Apple started.

Post a reply to this message

From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 12 Sep 2007 22:41:51
Message: <46e8a36f@news.povray.org>
I think there was a story that some lone inventor genius guy came up with
the name for his company and registered its domain as such: etoys.com.

Then some venture capitalists came up with the idea of an amazon.com-like
internet retail for toys, and wanted etoys.com.  They sued the pants off
the poor bloke.  He relented.

Political lesson: the difference between actual free markets and today's
capitalism-ism.

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:14:01 +0100, Ross <rli### [at] speakeasynet>
did spake, saying:

> "Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote in message
>> And lo on Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:33:40 +0100, scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> did
>> spake, saying:
>>
>> > Say for instance I bought www.nokia.com long before Nokia realised
>> they
>> > needed a website.  Do they have any right to force me to give-up that
>> > domain name, just because they are a huge multi-national company, or
>> is
>> > it just tough luck and they have to pay me whatever it will take?
>> >
>> > Would it make any difference if I ran a small company called 'Nokia
>> > Gizmos' or something that nobody had every heard of?  Do they have
>> more
>> > right to it than be just because they are a bigger well-known
>> > multi-national company?
>>
>> You're heading into trademark land. Remember Apple, the two  were
>> operating in different spheres hence no problem.
>
> Until Apple went into music, right? I thought that is when the Apple -vs-
> Apple started.

Yep, the original agreement was that Apple (computers) had nothing to do
with music and thus couldn't be confused with Apple (records), and lo iPod
and iTunes were created which reignited the argument.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message