POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ze moon Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  ze moon (Message 1 to 10 of 32)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: ze moon
Date: 28 Aug 2007 06:26:50
Message: <46d3f86a@news.povray.org>
Tried taking a pic when it was fully in shadow but was too dark to find
thru camera.  :(

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'moon.gif' (61 KB)

Preview of image 'moon.gif'
moon.gif

From: Brian Elliott
Subject: Re: ze moon
Date: 28 Aug 2007 07:29:05
Message: <46d40701@news.povray.org>
"Tim Cook" <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote in message
> Tried taking a pic when it was fully in shadow but was too dark to find
> thru camera.  :(
>
> --
> Tim Cook

I can't get a stable-enough image.  I have a tripod, but it is set on grass
and with no lead for bulb exposure, I still must touch the camera for
time-lapse photography - and it moves, however careful I am.  My lens only
extends to 125 mm so I can't zoom very close -- not that a 400 mm would be
any  good anyway with the mechanical instability I have to deal with.

And for any exposure longer than a few seconds, I'd need a tracking mount.
1 degree Earth rotation per every four minutes -- bah.

--
Brian

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mooneclipse1.jpg' (40 KB) Download 'mooneclipse2.jpg' (30 KB)

Preview of image 'mooneclipse1.jpg'
mooneclipse1.jpg

Preview of image 'mooneclipse2.jpg'
mooneclipse2.jpg

> "Tim Cook" <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote in message
>> Tried taking a pic when it was fully in shadow but was too dark to find
>> thru camera.  :(
>>
>> --
>> Tim Cook
>
> I can't get a stable-enough image.  I have a tripod, but it is set on
> grass
> and with no lead for bulb exposure, I still must touch the camera for
> time-lapse photography - and it moves, however careful I am.  My lens only
> extends to 125 mm so I can't zoom very close -- not that a 400 mm would be
> any  good anyway with the mechanical instability I have to deal with.
>
> And for any exposure longer than a few seconds, I'd need a tracking mount.
> 1 degree Earth rotation per every four minutes -- bah.

BTW, I notice that your image is upside-down compared to mine (fuzzy, but
can still tell).  Shows that you're in the Northern hemisphere and I'm in
the Southern.  Here (Brisbane, Australia) the shadow grew from the
bottom-left corner until the last fingernail vanished top-right.  My pics
here were taken after peak coverage but before direct light has struck the
Moon yet.

Anyway, still disappointed I haven't succeeded in getting a good image.

Post a reply to this message

> I can't get a stable-enough image.  I have a tripod, but it is set on
> grass
> and with no lead for bulb exposure, I still must touch the camera for
> time-lapse photography - and it moves, however careful I am.

Hold a black card infront of the lens (but not touching) as you press the
shutter, then move the card away a split second after you release the
shutter.  That might help.

Post a reply to this message