POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : shinyness Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:24:18 EDT (-0400)
  shinyness (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: colaroid
Subject: shinyness
Date: 5 Nov 2009 11:15:01
Message: <web.4af2f8aaacc0365abb1d6280@news.povray.org>
How do you make an object look really shiny, basically I want a gold box to go
into a picture and all Im achieving is a dull brown colour (with the gold
pigment)? I have tried phong and finish methods but I am clearly doing something
wrong!

Post a reply to this message

"colaroid" <col### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> How do you make an object look really shiny, basically I want a gold box to go
> into a picture and all Im achieving is a dull brown colour (with the gold
> pigment)? I have tried phong and finish methods but I am clearly doing something
> wrong!

Try using specular and/or reflection in your finish block, e.g.:

finish {
   specular 1 roughness 0.01
   reflection {0, 0.25 fresnel on} conserve_energy
}

(And if using reflection make sure you have something in your environment to
actually reflect)

Post a reply to this message

> How do you make an object look really shiny, basically I want a gold box to go
> into a picture and all Im achieving is a dull brown colour (with the gold
> pigment)? I have tried phong and finish methods but I am clearly doing something
> wrong!

Reflection!

What you really need for shiny things is something they can reflect.
Highlights alone won't do (and they're particularly poor with objects
that don't have any curved surfaces or beveled edges).

Post a reply to this message