POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : shinyness : Re: shinyness Server Time
8 Jul 2024 02:50:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shinyness
From: Alain
Date: 5 Nov 2009 23:02:57
Message: <4af39ff1$1@news.povray.org>

> How do you make an object look really shiny, basically I want a gold box to go
> into a picture and all Im achieving is a dull brown colour (with the gold
> pigment)? I have tried phong and finish methods but I am clearly doing something
> wrong!

Some way to do that:

Adding some reflection.
With the reflection, you need something to reflect, so, you need to add
some environment.

Carefull placement of the light(s). Works with...

Use phong (with phong_size) ou specular (with roughness) highlight.
Good with rounded shapes, much less with mostly flat surfaces and sharp
edges. Don't work with ambient "lights".

For metallic textures, add the keyword "metallic" in the finish.
metallic will colour the highlight the colour of your pigment.
Most metals have roughly constent reflection, independent on the angle:
use a single component reflection. metallic in the reflection block will
tint the reflected things acording to the pigment.
sample: reflection{0.3 metallic}

Experiment with "briliance". It takes a float value. Any positive value
is possible. "Standard" metallic textures mostly have brillance larger
than 1.

Alain