POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : shinyness : Re: shinyness Server Time
8 Jul 2024 02:56:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shinyness
From: Warp
Date: 5 Nov 2009 12:31:06
Message: <4af30bda@news.povray.org>
colaroid <col### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> How do you make an object look really shiny, basically I want a gold box to go
> into a picture and all Im achieving is a dull brown colour (with the gold
> pigment)? I have tried phong and finish methods but I am clearly doing something
> wrong!

  There's a trick with specular highlights which most people don't realize:
Use a very large specular setting (larger than 1, eg. 3 or 4) and adjust
roughness until it looks good (usually try to make the highlights smaller
in size). This works especially good for glass surfaces. You can combine
this with a more moderate larger phong highlight as necessary (depending on
how plastic you want it to look).

  The ultimate technique to get realistic shiny surfaces is, however, to use
a HDRI environment image (with megapov or pov 3.7) and some amount of
reflection on the object finish.

--
                                                          - Warp