POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A "realistic" plastic hemisphere. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:30 EDT (-0400)
   A "realistic" plastic hemisphere. (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Dave VanHorn
Subject: A "realistic" plastic hemisphere.
Date: 4 Jul 2007 22:35:02
Message: <web.468c585a4bebde348cbc7040@news.povray.org>
I'm a little stuck with this..
 I'm trying to define a realistic plastic hemisphere.

 In other words, define a sphere with actual wall thickness, so that when I
clip it with a plane, or cylinder (as drilling a hole in it) the edges show
up, and it dosen't end up as two infinitely thin shells.

What CSG should I use for this?

Post a reply to this message

"Dave VanHorn" <mic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I'm a little stuck with this..
>  I'm trying to define a realistic plastic hemisphere.
>
>  In other words, define a sphere with actual wall thickness, so that when I
> clip it with a plane, or cylinder (as drilling a hole in it) the edges show
> up, and it dosen't end up as two infinitely thin shells.
>
> What CSG should I use for this?

I don't know that it's the most efficient way possible, but this sounds like
what you are talking about:

camera{location <1,3,3> look_at 0}
light_source{<25,25,25> rgb 1}
difference{
 difference{
  sphere{0,1}
  sphere{0,.95}
 }
 cylinder{0,y*2,0.3}
 plane{-z,0}
 pigment{rgb 1}
}

If you replace plane{-z,0} by clipped_by{plane{z,0}}, then it does give two
shells.  I had to look it up to remember, but the manual explains that
clipped_by removes surfaces and leaves an opening.

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/322/

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message