POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A "realistic" plastic hemisphere. : Re: A "realistic" plastic hemisphere. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A "realistic" plastic hemisphere.
From: Alain
Date: 5 Jul 2007 09:19:42
Message: <468cefee$1@news.povray.org>
Dave VanHorn nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/07/04 22:32:
>  I'm a little stuck with this..
>  I'm trying to define a realistic plastic hemisphere.
>
>  In other words, define a sphere with actual wall thickness, so that when I
> clip it with a plane, or cylinder (as drilling a hole in it) the edges show
> up, and it dosen't end up as two infinitely thin shells.
>
> What CSG should I use for this?

Don't clip!
Make your sphere out of 2 differenced concentric spheres. Then, use that in a
difference or intersection with your plane, or difference it with a cylinder.
Sample:
#declare ShellSphere = difference{sphere{0,5} sphere{0,4.5}}//sphere with outer
radius of 5 and a thickness of 0.5
With a hole in it:
difference{
	object{ShellSphere}
	cylinder{x+y*2-z, (x+y)*5, 2}
	texture{YourTexture}
	}

--
Alain
Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God.