POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A "realistic" plastic hemisphere. : Re: A "realistic" plastic hemisphere. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A "realistic" plastic hemisphere.
From: Dave VanHorn
Date: 6 Jul 2007 17:15:01
Message: <web.468eb0871c54420da08ed15e0@news.povray.org>
That got it.

I had to step back a bit though, as it wouldn't let me do the differencing
with pre-defined shapes.

IOW, the example you showed works fine, but if I declare a hole and try to
difference it as below, I wasn't able to get that to work:

#declare Hole = object { cylinder {
0,(x*Ball_Dia),((Cam_Lens_Dia+(30*Mil))/2)
                         rotate <0,0,(0 - Cam_Angle)>
                         rotate <0,180,0>   //Around the vertical axis
                       }

#declare Top = difference { sphere { <0,0,0>, (Ball_Dia/2) }
                            sphere { <0,0,0>, ((Ball_Dia/2) - Wall_Thick)}
                            Hole
                            plane{-y,0}
                            material { White_Plastic }
                            photons { target 1.0 refraction on reflection on
}
                         }

I'm also not convinced that I have the photons working right..  Photons seem
to behave differently for a union or difference than they do if I take the
objects that would have been in the union, and do them separately.