POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problem with certain text {fonts} Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Problem with certain text {fonts} (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Patrick Hagerty
Subject: Problem with certain text {fonts}
Date: 1 Jul 2006 00:08:02
Message: <44a5f522$1@news.povray.org>
I've been playing with rendering various text objects with different fonts.

I used a standard (ie. from the "Insert" menu) text object, plug in my text,
then type in the font I want to try and render away.  However, certain font
don't render correctly.  That is, the letters are scrambled, and often
aren't in the text string I entered in the text object.  I'm reasonably
certain that the font is not corrupt because I can use it in a standard word
processing program or paint tool like Print Shop or any tool that lets you
select your font.

Here's an example that works just fine:

text
{
    ttf             // font type (only TrueType format for now)
    "arial.ttf",  // Microsoft Windows-format TrueType font file name
    "123456",
    TextDepth,              // the extrusion depth
    CharSeparation               // inter-character spacing

    texture { Text_Tex }
    rotate <0, -2, 0>
    translate <-3, 0.3, 2>
}

Now, I've got quite an extensive collection of font types because I do a lot
of web development and associated graphics design.  I'm always looking for
the right font for a given job.  I wanted to do some 3d rendering of the
fonts I'm using for some web graphics.  I'm finding that quite a few fonts
aren't working in POV-Ray quite as expected.

Is this a known problem?

- Patrick

Post a reply to this message