POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help out a newbie to understand the coord system Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Help out a newbie to understand the coord system (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Fi3l2
Subject: Help out a newbie to understand the coord system
Date: 19 Nov 2005 13:15:00
Message: <web.437f6b34442657b89d6a7880@news.povray.org>
I have taken higher level maths here college and all of them use a different
coordinate system than povray. From what I understand, povray uses a x-z 2d
plane with a y 3d dimension plane. I am used to a x-y 2d and z 3d.

This really shouldn't matter, should it? I can just place my camera looking
at a certain way and i can describe all of my objects in any coordinates I
would like.
If this is the case, then my code below would simply produce a sphere but
for some odd reason, it doesnt.. it just produces a black screen. Anyone
help? Or is the only option to use the correct coord system?
Let me know

#include "colors.inc"
background{ color LightBlue }
camera{
        location <10,0,10>
        look_at <0,5,0>
        }
light_source{
        <-5,-5,13>
        color White
        }
plane{
        z,0
        color Yellow
      }
sphere{
        <0,5,2.5>,2.5
        color Orange
      }

Post a reply to this message

>I have taken higher level maths here college and all of them use a different
>coordinate system than povray. From what I understand, povray uses a x-z 2d
>plane with a y 3d dimension plane. I am used to a x-y 2d and z 3d.
>
>This really shouldn't matter, should it? I can just place my camera looking
>at a certain way and i can describe all of my objects in any coordinates I
>would like.
>If this is the case, then my code below would simply produce a sphere but
>for some odd reason, it doesnt.. it just produces a black screen. Anyone
>help? Or is the only option to use the correct coord system?
>Let me know
>
>#include "colors.inc"
>background{ color LightBlue }
>camera{
>        location <10,0,10>
>        look_at <0,5,0>
>        }
>light_source{
>        <-5,-5,13>
>        color White
>        }
>plane{
>        z,0
>        color Yellow
>      }
>sphere{
>        <0,5,2.5>,2.5
>        color Orange
>      }

You have to say "pigment {colour Yellow}" and "pigment {colour Orange}".

"colour" outside a pigment is obsolete syntax. It doesn't do anything,
so the pigment of the object remains at the default black, and you don't
see the pure black sphere in front of the pure black plane.

It used to be for low quality previews. You could set up a complicated
pattern in the pigment, and then use a plain colour for the previews.
These days computers run quite a bit faster than they did when that
syntax is introduced, and the pigment is always used, whatever the
quality setting. They just haven't got round to removing the acceptance
of the obsolete syntax from the parser.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure