POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help out a newbie to understand the coord system : Re: Help out a newbie to understand the coord system Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:14:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help out a newbie to understand the coord system
From: Slime
Date: 19 Nov 2005 14:42:13
Message: <437f8015@news.povray.org>
> From what I understand, povray uses a x-z 2d
> plane with a y 3d dimension plane. I am used to a x-y 2d and z 3d.
>
> This really shouldn't matter, should it? I can just place my camera
looking
> at a certain way and i can describe all of my objects in any coordinates I
> would like.

It matters only in one place, where POV-Ray calculates the camera
orientation from your location and look_at vectors. It uses the cross
product between vectors to get perpendicular vectors, but it assumes that
the result points a specific way from the vectors operated on; if you're
using a right handed coordinate system instead of a left handed one, this
assumption will be incorrect. The result is that the image will look
mirrored from what you would expect in a right-handed system. You can avoid
this by specifying the direction, up, and right vectors manually, but you'll
have to calculate them yourself.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]