POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Lens Simulation Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Lens Simulation (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: pelesl
Subject: Lens Simulation
Date: 29 Nov 2004 09:35:01
Message: <web.41ab32dc16f317da555b21880@news.povray.org>
I just started using POVRay recently in a sort-of-scientific manner. I use
it to render streamtraces in measured 3D flows so that I have full control
of how they look (perhaps I'll post a sample at some point).

In any case, I was wondering if anyone has used POVray to simulate optical
systems - that is, draw your lenses using actual glass properties, then
place the camera where a CCD or film plane would be and get a rendered
scene through whatever lens you designed.

If I understand correclty, right now when you define your camera you are in
effect also defining a perfect lens with set field of view. I would like to
define a camera as simply a rendering plane of set size that just gets
whatever rays land on it and images it. That way, I can put the rendering
surface out-of-focus from my lens, simulate extension tubes, etc....

Anyone ever try to do such a thing?

Thanks,
Emilio

Post a reply to this message