POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Lens Simulation : Re: Lens Simulation Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lens Simulation
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 1 Dec 2004 11:58:39
Message: <cjameshuff-36E102.11585101122004@news.povray.org>
In article <41ac5312@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   I wonder if this would already be possible with POV-Ray's radiosity...
> After all, it does exactly that: For each intersection point it shoots
> rays to all directions to see what is there... (give or take some sample
> reusing, but setting reusing to minimum it just might do the trick).

Well, it shoots rays in all directions (well, within a hemisphere), when
the only ones that matter are the ones that will hit the lens.
Technically possible (I've done similar things before), but not really a
better solution than the photons idea.

Hmm...I think you could do it without a patch by rendering a bunch of
images and messing with the camera to get it to scan the lens area.
Jitter a skewed orthographic camera around the image plane to sample
what the lens looks like from different angles, then average the images
together. It'd be hard to get it right, and the edges would be
funny...you'd get true depth of field though.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/