POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Getting started Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:55 EDT (-0400)
  Getting started (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: marciano
Subject: Getting started
Date: 25 Jul 2007 18:30:02
Message: <web.46a7ccfedf6f61bc42ce5db10@news.povray.org>
Hello.
I've just downloaded POV-Ray.
From 'Getting started'
"|Starting POV-Ray rendering any scene file is as simple as opening the file
via the File menu. Then go to the Render menu and start rendering. By
default POV-Ray will write an image to disk to the same folder as the scene
file you rendered|"

I file-open cylinder1.pov and go to Render menu -> all options are light
grey  -> cannot render
Then I try' Window-Render queue' and 'Add files to queue'
'Add POV-Ray text file(s) to render queue' is the title of the popup window.
 Cannot select any text file in Templates directory, all are ligth gray.
I do could add box.pov file to Render Queue
Perform "Start Render Queue"  -> box.pov text content is displayed
No render image is generated.

How it is supose to render any file?

I've set Render engine for G4, unmarked "allow rendering .pov files only"

Thank you in advance

Post a reply to this message

> "|Starting POV-Ray rendering any scene file is as simple as opening the
> file
> via the File menu. Then go to the Render menu and start rendering. By
> default POV-Ray will write an image to disk to the same folder as the
> scene
> file you rendered|"
>
> I file-open cylinder1.pov and go to Render menu -> all options are light
> grey  -> cannot render
> Then I try' Window-Render queue' and 'Add files to queue'
> 'Add POV-Ray text file(s) to render queue' is the title of the popup
> window.
> Cannot select any text file in Templates directory, all are ligth gray.
> I do could add box.pov file to Render Queue
> Perform "Start Render Queue"  -> box.pov text content is displayed
> No render image is generated.
>
> How it is supose to render any file?
>
> I've set Render engine for G4, unmarked "allow rendering .pov files only"
>
> Thank you in advance

Hi Marciano,

Somehow your posting seems to have become attached to the end of Lhainel's
'Getting Started' thread in the newsgroup. I'm guessing you did a 'Reply
Group' instead of a 'New Post'. As a consequence you'll find that a lot less
people will have read your question because people tend not to pay so much
attention to old threads.

To get to the bottom of your problem it would be handy to indicate which
version of POV-Ray you downloaded. There is a beta-test version 3.7 on the
go at the moment, but if you're new to POV-Ray you should be running the
latest established 3.6 version. It would also be handy to know what platform
you're on. I would guess it's one of the Windows operating systems. Where
people have reported on this news group having menu options greyed out in
the past I think that it has largely resulted from problems with the
installation leaving environment variables that don't correctly point to
required directories.

If the installation worked ok, then you should be able to open POV-Ray and
select the 'Render' menu option 'Run demo' and it should render an image in
a pop-up window on the screen, writing information about the work that it's
done into the Messages tab in the main window.

display it's contents (in this case a camera setting and a few simple
objects). You should then be able to select 'Render', 'Start rendering' or
hit the 'Run' icon which is a green circle containing a representation of a
running man. Once again this should pop-up a window and render the image
into it while reporting on progress into the Messages tab.

Hope this helps. If not I'd recommend starting a new thread with a bit more
detail about platform, version, etc.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

Chris B nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/07/26 05:38:
> [...]
> installation leaving environment variables that don't correctly point to
> required directories.
>
> If the installation worked ok, then you should be able to open POV-Ray and
> select the 'Render' menu option 'Run demo' and it should render an image in
> a pop-up window on the screen, writing information about the work that it's
> done into the Messages tab in the main window.

> display it's contents (in this case a camera setting and a few simple
> objects). You should then be able to select 'Render', 'Start rendering' or
> hit the 'Run' icon which is a green circle containing a representation of a
> running man. Once again this should pop-up a window and render the image
> into it while reporting on progress into the Messages tab.
>
> Hope this helps. If not I'd recommend starting a new thread with a bit more

He mentioned "G4", so, he's on a Mac.
There is still no beta for the Mac = using V3.6.x.
I have no knowlege about the Mac version, so I can't offer more help.

--
Alain
   A girl phoned me and said, "Come on over. There's nobody home." I Went over.

Post a reply to this message