POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Getting started : Re: Getting started Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting started
From: Alain
Date: 26 Jul 2007 05:58:56
Message: <46a87060$1@news.povray.org>
Chris B nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/07/26 05:38:
> "marciano" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
>> Hello.
>> I've just downloaded POV-Ray.
>> From 'Getting started'
>> "|Starting POV-Ray rendering any scene file is as simple as opening the
>> file
>> via the File menu. Then go to the Render menu and start rendering. By
>> default POV-Ray will write an image to disk to the same folder as the
>> scene
>> file you rendered|"
>>
>> I file-open cylinder1.pov and go to Render menu -> all options are light
>> grey  -> cannot render
>> Then I try' Window-Render queue' and 'Add files to queue'
>> 'Add POV-Ray text file(s) to render queue' is the title of the popup
>> window.
>> Cannot select any text file in Templates directory, all are ligth gray.
>> I do could add box.pov file to Render Queue
>> Perform "Start Render Queue"  -> box.pov text content is displayed
>> No render image is generated.
>>
>> How it is supose to render any file?
>>
>> I've set Render engine for G4, unmarked "allow rendering .pov files only"
>>
>> Thank you in advance
>>

> Hi Marciano,
>
> Somehow your posting seems to have become attached to the end of Lhainel's
> 'Getting Started' thread in the newsgroup. I'm guessing you did a 'Reply
> Group' instead of a 'New Post'. As a consequence you'll find that a lot less
> people will have read your question because people tend not to pay so much
> attention to old threads.
>
> To get to the bottom of your problem it would be handy to indicate which
> version of POV-Ray you downloaded. There is a beta-test version 3.7 on the
> go at the moment, but if you're new to POV-Ray you should be running the
> latest established 3.6 version. It would also be handy to know what platform
> you're on. I would guess it's one of the Windows operating systems. Where
> people have reported on this news group having menu options greyed out in
> the past I think that it has largely resulted from problems with the
> installation leaving environment variables that don't correctly point to
> required directories.
>
> If the installation worked ok, then you should be able to open POV-Ray and
> select the 'Render' menu option 'Run demo' and it should render an image in
> a pop-up window on the screen, writing information about the work that it's
> done into the Messages tab in the main window.

> display it's contents (in this case a camera setting and a few simple
> objects). You should then be able to select 'Render', 'Start rendering' or
> hit the 'Run' icon which is a green circle containing a representation of a
> running man. Once again this should pop-up a window and render the image
> into it while reporting on progress into the Messages tab.
>
> Hope this helps. If not I'd recommend starting a new thread with a bit more
> detail about platform, version, etc.
>
> Regards,
> [...]
He mentioned "G4", so, he's on a Mac.
There is still no beta for the Mac = using V3.6.x.
I have no knowlege about the Mac version, so I can't offer more help.

--
Alain
   A girl phoned me and said, "Come on over. There's nobody home." I Went over.