POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Using Ambient Light Settings Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Using Ambient Light Settings (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: zombiebhp
Subject: Using Ambient Light Settings
Date: 13 Jul 2006 20:35:00
Message: <web.44b6e69ef8cbc39dc1709b0c0@news.povray.org>
You have some of the most AMAZING software available to use for graphics.
Well, enough of the hobbknobbing I have questions that need to be answered.
I am trying to put ambient light on an object that would appear as the Sun.
so far what I got is:
sphere
      { <0,0,0>860
      pigment { image_map
      { gif "sun.gif"
      map_type 1
    }
  }
  translate <0,0,3000>
}
Now I do not know exactly what or where to insert any string data to do with
ambient light coming from this object named "sun.gif". Can anyone help,
Please.
Anytime I try to input ambiet_light I get an Error message.
                                              Thank you Brian

Post a reply to this message

> You have some of the most AMAZING software available to use for graphics.
> Well, enough of the hobbknobbing I have questions that need to be
answered.
> I am trying to put ambient light on an object that would appear as the
Sun.
> so far what I got is:
> sphere
>       { <0,0,0>860
>       pigment { image_map
>       { gif "sun.gif"
>       map_type 1
>     }
>   }
>   translate <0,0,3000>
> }
> Now I do not know exactly what or where to insert any string data to do
with
> ambient light coming from this object named "sun.gif". Can anyone help,
> Please.
> Anytime I try to input ambiet_light I get an Error message.
>                                               Thank you Brian

You could look at the texture section in the POVRay doc
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/331/

to simplify you put a pigment, it is ok
but ambient is a finish item.
pigment determines the basic color of an object on its surface.
finish determines how this surface reacts to light (diffuse, ambient,
reflection, specular.....)
pigment and finish are gathered in a texture block
sphere
       { <0,0,0>860
       texture{
            pigment { image_map   { gif "sun.gif"  map_type 1    }
            finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0}
// ambient 1 makes object "shine" (not lighting the scene but visible)
//and diffuse 0 make it not interacting with lights
       }
   translate <0,0,3000>
 }

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: zombiebhp
Date: 14 Jul 2006 07:25:01
Message: <web.44b77e02bc7d6ebc1709b0c0@news.povray.org>
"M_a_r_c" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:

> web.44b6e69ef8cbc39dc1709b0c0@news.povray.org...
> > You have some of the most AMAZING software available to use for graphics.
> > Well, enough of the hobbknobbing I have questions that need to be
> answered.
> > I am trying to put ambient light on an object that would appear as the
> Sun.
> > so far what I got is:
> > sphere
> >       { <0,0,0>860
> >       pigment { image_map
> >       { gif "sun.gif"
> >       map_type 1
> >     }
> >   }
> >   translate <0,0,3000>
> > }
> > Now I do not know exactly what or where to insert any string data to do
> with
> > ambient light coming from this object named "sun.gif". Can anyone help,
> > Please.
> > Anytime I try to input ambiet_light I get an Error message.
> >                                               Thank you Brian
> >

> You could look at the texture section in the POVRay doc
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/331/
>
> to simplify you put a pigment, it is ok
> but ambient is a finish item.
> pigment determines the basic color of an object on its surface.
> finish determines how this surface reacts to light (diffuse, ambient,
> reflection, specular.....)
> pigment and finish are gathered in a texture block
> sphere
>        { <0,0,0>860
>        texture{
>             pigment { image_map   { gif "sun.gif"  map_type 1    }
>             finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0}
> // ambient 1 makes object "shine" (not lighting the scene but visible)
> //and diffuse 0 make it not interacting with lights
>        }
>    translate <0,0,3000>
>  }
>

> Marc
I appreciate your help, but I have a problem with your solution. Anytime I
use a 'finish' at all I get an error message. I must not know how to use
'finish' correctly.

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 14 Jul 2006 07:51:25
Message: <44b7853d$1@news.povray.org>

web.44b77e02bc7d6ebc1709b0c0@news.povray.org...
> I appreciate your help,
This is the purpose of these groups, you're welcome ;-)
>but I have a problem with your solution. Anytime I
> use a 'finish' at all I get an error message. I must not know how to use
> 'finish' correctly.

Please, could you paste your texture here, so we could help you
Which message do you get?

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 14 Jul 2006 08:25:00
Message: <web.44b78c0bbc7d6ebc150d4c10@news.povray.org>
> sphere
>        { <0,0,0>860
>        texture{
>             pigment { image_map   { gif "sun.gif"  map_type 1    }
>             finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0}
> // ambient 1 makes object "shine" (not lighting the scene but visible)
> //and diffuse 0 make it not interacting with lights
>        }
>    translate <0,0,3000>
>  }
>

> Marc

And don't forget that ambient is not limited to 1.  Seeing this is a bright
sun, you may want to go higher.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

From: zombiebhp
Date: 14 Jul 2006 11:15:00
Message: <web.44b7b3e9bc7d6ebc1709b0c0@news.povray.org>
"M_a_r_c" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:

> web.44b77e02bc7d6ebc1709b0c0@news.povray.org...
> > I appreciate your help,
> This is the purpose of these groups, you're welcome ;-)
> >but I have a problem with your solution. Anytime I
> > use a 'finish' at all I get an error message. I must not know how to use
> > 'finish' correctly.
>
> Please, could you paste your texture here, so we could help you
> Which message do you get?
>

> Marc

The texture is a gif of the Sun I named 'sun.gif' it is 1000 x 2000 pixels.
I got the image from a JPEG that was dubbed suncyl1.jpg from a website that
had a good picture. http://www.solarviews.com/cap/sun/suncyl1.htm Its not
much to look at until you wrap it around a sphere. then it looks great, but
I also have a sphere of Earth close to it that casts a shadow on it.

Post a reply to this message

From: zombiebhp
Date: 14 Jul 2006 11:25:00
Message: <web.44b7b6d1bc7d6ebc1709b0c0@news.povray.org>
"M_a_r_c" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:

> web.44b77e02bc7d6ebc1709b0c0@news.povray.org...
> > I appreciate your help,
> This is the purpose of these groups, you're welcome ;-)
> >but I have a problem with your solution. Anytime I
> > use a 'finish' at all I get an error message. I must not know how to use
> > 'finish' correctly.
>
> Please, could you paste your texture here, so we could help you
> Which message do you get?
>

> Marc

I've recently revised the image I will show what it looks like; it is not
much because I am new at this stuff.

#include "colors.inc"

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.0
  max_trace_level 5
}

// ----------------------------------------

camera {
  location  <0.0, 0.0, 0.0>
  direction 1.5*z
  right     x*image_width/image_height
  look_at   <0.0, 0.0, 0.1>
}

sky_sphere {
  pigment {
    gradient y
    color_map {
      [0.0 rgb <0,0,0>]

    }
  }
}
sphere
      { <0,0,0>860
      pigment { image_map
      { gif "Sunny.gif"
      map_type 1
    }
  }
  translate <0,0,1000>
}

sphere
    { <20,0,10> 10
    texture {
      pigment { image_map
      { gif "moon.gif"
       map_type 1
    }
  }
 }
}
light_source {
  <0, 0, 0>            // light's position (translated below)
  color rgb <1, 1, 1>  // light's color
  translate <-2, 0.01, 80>
}

// ----------------------------------------

sphere
    { <13,0.01,100> 7.6
  texture {
    pigment { image_map
    { gif "mapaS.gif"
     map_type 1
    }
  }
 }
}

Post a reply to this message

From: zombiebhp
Date: 14 Jul 2006 11:40:00
Message: <web.44b7baa9bc7d6ebc1709b0c0@news.povray.org>
I appologize. I forgot that the 'Sunny.gif' is only on my computer. I do not
know what you are refering to when you say texture. I'm trying to learn this
program so that I may make realistic animations.

Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 14 Jul 2006 11:55:00
Message: <web.44b7bdcebc7d6ebc150d4c10@news.povray.org>
> > >but I have a problem with your solution. Anytime I
> > > use a 'finish' at all I get an error message. I must not know how to use
> > > 'finish' correctly.
> >
> > Please, could you paste your texture here, so we could help you
> > Which message do you get?
> >
> sphere
>       { <0,0,0>860
>       pigment { image_map
>       { gif "Sunny.gif"
>       map_type 1
>     }
>   }
>   translate <0,0,1000>
> }

Make sure you nest the brackets proiperly when adding finish.  I find it
easier if the brackets following a scope indentation.

sphere{
    <0,0,0> 860
    pigment{
        image_map{
            gif "Sunny.gif"
            map_type 1
        }
    }
    translate <0,0,1000>
}

to add a finish just add it after the pigment block (outside its brackets).
It is also usually good protocol to wrap them inside a texture block:

sphere{
    <0,0,0> 860
    texture{  //texture start
        pigment{  //pigment start
            image_map{
                gif "Sunny.gif"
                map_type 1
            }
        }  //pigment end
        finish{  //finish start
            ambient 1
            diffuse0
        }  //finish end
    }   //texture end
    translate <0,0,1000>
}

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 14 Jul 2006 13:10:09
Message: <44b7cff1$1@news.povray.org>

web.44b7baa9bc7d6ebc1709b0c0@news.povray.org...
> I appologize. I forgot that the 'Sunny.gif' is only on my computer. I do
not
> know what you are refering to when you say texture. I'm trying to learn
this
> program so that I may make realistic animations.

I explained you in a former post what is a texture in POV
I paste it again