POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Draw Vistas Option Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:16:09 EDT (-0400)
  Draw Vistas Option (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: Carl Hoff
Subject: Draw Vistas Option
Date: 31 Jan 2004 20:13:49
Message: <401c52cd$1@news.povray.org>
I've got a couple quick questions.  I'm using the Draw_Vistas option or +UD
flag to test a CSG to see if I should be using some manual bounding boxes.

(1)  What is the significance of the color of the box this options draws on
the render window?  I've seen red boxes and blue boxes and I can't see any
reason behind what gets a blue box and what gets a red box.

(2)  I learned rather fast that when testing my CSG that if I just had a
very simple piece I was testing that I also needed the +MB0 flag turned on.
However I could have as few as 3 frame level objects and I no longer needed
the +MB0 flag.  The documentaion says the default setting is +MB25.  What is
the relationship between the number of "objects" used in this flag and what
the message window refers to as "frame level objects"?

Thanks,
Carl

Post a reply to this message

> (1)  What is the significance of the color of the box this options draws on
> the render window?  I've seen red boxes and blue boxes and I can't see any
> reason behind what gets a blue box and what gets a red box.

From the code, it looks like blue boxes are compound objects, red boxes
are lone objects.

> (2)  I learned rather fast that when testing my CSG that if I just had a
> very simple piece I was testing that I also needed the +MB0 flag turned on.
> However I could have as few as 3 frame level objects and I no longer needed
> the +MB0 flag.  The documentaion says the default setting is +MB25.  What is
> the relationship between the number of "objects" used in this flag and what
> the message window refers to as "frame level objects"?

You have 3 frame level objects and the default +MB setting, and still
get bounding slabs?
The default is 25, and the number considered is the number of frame
level objects. In fact, whether or not to build the slabs is decided
right after printing that information, in Build_Bounding_Slabs() in
bbox.cpp. The code's a little odd, but should work as expected. Maybe
there's an .ini file setting or something overriding the default...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message