POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Draw Vistas Option : Re: Draw Vistas Option Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:27:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Draw Vistas Option
From: Mike Williams
Date: 1 Feb 2004 14:40:18
Message: <RijHnBAvQVHAFwTO@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Carl Hoff who wrote:

>I find that a little surprising as the scaled sphere is a much better fit.
>If the sphere test is slower then a box test then I'm curious when
>using a sphere as a bounding object would actually give an
>improvement.  Could it be the scaling that's slowing it down?

I don't think that scaling ever slows down any ray tests. What happens
is that all the scaling, rotations and translations for an object are
combined during parsing into a single transformation matrix. Applying
the resulting matrix goes at the same speed whatever type of
transformation is being applied.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure