POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fabric simulation Server Time
10 Jun 2024 06:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  fabric simulation (Message 1 to 10 of 53)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: fabric simulation
Date: 7 Jan 2015 18:10:00
Message: <web.54adbc6a13c841a3bd92286f0@news.povray.org>
it would be awesome if povray had this:
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/projects/ctcloth/

unfortunately, it would require a database of df3 files -- micron-resolution MRI
scans of cloth swatches...

but the results are just fantastic.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: Re: fabric simulation
Date: 7 Jan 2015 22:55:01
Message: <web.54adff24d1f9e5adbd92286f0@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> it would be awesome if povray had this:
> http://www.cs.cornell.edu/projects/ctcloth/
>
> unfortunately, it would require a database of df3 files -- micron-resolution MRI
> scans of cloth swatches...
>
> but the results are just fantastic.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

Er.. sorry.. CT scans...

A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

From: jhu
Date: 7 Jan 2015 23:30:00
Message: <web.54ae071dd1f9e5add19b0ec40@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> it would be awesome if povray had this:
> http://www.cs.cornell.edu/projects/ctcloth/
>
> unfortunately, it would require a database of df3 files -- micron-resolution MRI
> scans of cloth swatches...
>
> but the results are just fantastic.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

Meh, easier to just use Blender's cloth simulator. Come to think of it, I think
the old Megapov had some sort of cloth simulating thing.

Post a reply to this message

> "Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> > it would be awesome if povray had this:
> > http://www.cs.cornell.edu/projects/ctcloth/
> >
> > unfortunately, it would require a database of df3 files -- micron-resolution MRI
> > scans of cloth swatches...
> >
> > but the results are just fantastic.
> >
> > Regards,
> > A.D.B.
>
> Meh, easier to just use Blender's cloth simulator. Come to think of it, I think
> the old Megapov had some sort of cloth simulating thing.

I find Blender to be a massive pain to use.  I can't import my models into it
from povray, which is the only place I ever create models, and the interface is
a clunky mass of mystery meat.

Aside from that, you're left trying to find a triangle resolution that doesn't
leave the surface looking patchy.

I tried using Megapov's cloth simulator, once, and felt that there were way too
many parameters.

And lastly, sometimes it's more fun to do things the hard way, and sometimes,
the hard way is actually better than the easy way.

but, as you will.

I posted the link because I found the article interesting.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:

> I find Blender to be a massive pain to use.  I can't import my models into it
> from povray, which is the only place I ever create models, and the interface is
> a clunky mass of mystery meat.

It's a clunky mess because you're not used to it. That will be the same no
matter what program you use (AutoCAD, Maya, 3D Studio Max, etc.).

> Aside from that, you're left trying to find a triangle resolution that doesn't
> leave the surface looking patchy.

You can use smooth shading. This gives good results even at low mesh
resolutions.

> I tried using Megapov's cloth simulator, once, and felt that there were way too
> many parameters.

Cloth is pretty complex. If Povray were to integrate what you linked, there will
unlikely be less parameters.

Post a reply to this message