POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fabric simulation Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:50:20 EDT (-0400)
  fabric simulation (Message 11 to 20 of 53)
From: jhu
Subject: Re: fabric simulation
Date: 8 Jan 2015 10:35:00
Message: <web.54aea316d1f9e5add19b0ec40@news.povray.org>
> From the initial post I got the impression that it was more the cloth
> /texture/ that was the subject than the positioning of same. The later
> can be achieved without too much work using e.g. Blender or Poser; the
> former is - in my view - something much more difficult to achieve,
> especially considering the fine details shown in the zoom images of the
> fabrics presented in the video. It is not a /simple/ layered texture
> using pigment patterns or image patterns. It is something much more
> elaborate.
>
> Thomas

A lot of that can be approximated using textures instead. While what they do is
pretty neat, there's always some trick to be able to get a similar effect that
they did.

Post a reply to this message

> On 08/01/2015 08:21, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> >  From the initial post I got the impression that it was more the cloth
> > /texture/ that was the subject than the positioning of same. The later
> > can be achieved without too much work using e.g. Blender or Poser; the
> > former is - in my view - something much more difficult to achieve,
> > especially considering the fine details shown in the zoom images of the
> > fabrics presented in the video. It is not a /simple/ layered texture
> > using pigment patterns or image patterns. It is something much more
> > elaborate.
> >

> That's what I thought.
>

> --
>
> Regards
>      Stephen

Sorry for the off topic drift then. So would this be something similar to the
cloth shading models that Luxrender and Mistuba offer? from the following page
it looks like the renderer used for the paper was Mitsuba
http://www.mitsuba-renderer.org/devblog/2012/05/mitsuba-used-in-siggraph-2012-technical-papers/
And since both these renderers are blender centric, you can indeed achieve these
effects from Blender.

Post a reply to this message

>> On 08/01/2015 08:21, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>>   From the initial post I got the impression that it was more the cloth
>>> /texture/ that was the subject than the positioning of same. The later
>>> can be achieved without too much work using e.g. Blender or Poser; the
>>> former is - in my view - something much more difficult to achieve,
>>> especially considering the fine details shown in the zoom images of the
>>> fabrics presented in the video. It is not a /simple/ layered texture
>>> using pigment patterns or image patterns. It is something much more
>>> elaborate.
>>>

>> That's what I thought.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards
>>       Stephen
>
> Sorry for the off topic drift then. So would this be something similar to the
> cloth shading models that Luxrender and Mistuba offer? from the following page
> it looks like the renderer used for the paper was Mitsuba

http://www.mitsuba-renderer.org/devblog/2012/05/mitsuba-used-in-siggraph-2012-technical-papers/
> And since both these renderers are blender centric, you can indeed achieve these
> effects from Blender.

Get thee behind me...

;-)

I thought it would be more suited for Blender.
Some of the images in your link are the same as in A.D.B.'s. So I guess
you are right. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen