POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fabric simulation : Re: fabric simulation Server Time
8 Jul 2024 10:42:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fabric simulation
From: Mr
Date: 22 Jan 2015 08:30:00
Message: <web.54c0fb09d1f9e5ad6ee70590@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> > Afterthought.
> >  From the video, I guess one could do something similar using
> > appropriate df3 files in POV-Ray. The basic weave pattern initially
> > presented suspiciously resembles a df3.
> >

> > --
> > Thomas
>
> from what I understood of the process, it basically is like media with a df3
> file, except that they deform the pattern to get the surface.
>
> actually, if you had a cloth object that was a closed mesh, and media could be
> oriented along a surface normal, then povray could do this.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

The requirement of a closed mesh would make the whole scene much too heavy, I
think that's why the system is clever, If I understood correctly, it's a shading
model, so doesn't require the real volume... that's also why it's not exportable
from blender, because it's a renderer's feature, and occurs outside of Blender,
it only occurs after the geometry export during actual rendering process.

There is a feature that could be comparatively usefull though slightly less
accurate to create the fabric effects but at a fraction of the computing time
and would provide a diversity of other uses: it's tangent space normal maps,
which POV-Ray still lacks.