POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fabric simulation : Re: fabric simulation Server Time
8 Jul 2024 10:40:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fabric simulation
From: Mr
Date: 8 Jan 2015 12:35:01
Message: <web.54aebf73d1f9e5ad75569c730@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 08/01/2015 08:21, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> >  From the initial post I got the impression that it was more the cloth
> > /texture/ that was the subject than the positioning of same. The later
> > can be achieved without too much work using e.g. Blender or Poser; the
> > former is - in my view - something much more difficult to achieve,
> > especially considering the fine details shown in the zoom images of the
> > fabrics presented in the video. It is not a /simple/ layered texture
> > using pigment patterns or image patterns. It is something much more
> > elaborate.
> >

> That's what I thought.
>

> --
>
> Regards
>      Stephen

Sorry for the off topic drift then. So would this be something similar to the
cloth shading models that Luxrender and Mistuba offer? from the following page
it looks like the renderer used for the paper was Mitsuba
http://www.mitsuba-renderer.org/devblog/2012/05/mitsuba-used-in-siggraph-2012-technical-papers/
And since both these renderers are blender centric, you can indeed achieve these
effects from Blender.