POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Most efficient way to code a hemisphere (lathe.inc) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:30:13 EDT (-0400)
  Most efficient way to code a hemisphere (lathe.inc) (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Most efficient way to code a hemisphere (lathe.inc)
Date: 26 Feb 2011 21:10:00
Message: <web.4d69b2033996fba34d207310@news.povray.org>
Hi. I was trying to find the most efficient way to code a mesh for a perfect
hemisphere.  I could probably do it if I were to break out a while loop with a
couple thousand entries in the spline based on trig functions.  But it would
really help to know the simplest way to define one.  So far I haven't hit on it
with quadratic spline, supposed I will next try cubic.

TIA for any help.

#version 3.5;
#include "lathe.inc"

global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.0}
camera {location <0,2,-5.5> look_at <0,0,0>}
light_source {<500,500,-500> rgb <0.8,0.9,1>}
light_source {<-10,3,0> rgb <1,1,0.8>}

#declare bd=2;

#declare S1=spline{
   quadratic_spline
  -1.00,<-2,0,0>
   0.00,< 0,2,0>
   1.00,< 2,0,0>
   2.00,< 0,-2,0>
}

object {
   Lathe(S1, 100, 360, 50, "")
   uv_mapping
   pigment{checker color rgb <0,0,0.2> color rgb <1,0.85,0.85> scale 0.05}
   finish{specular 0.4}
}

Post a reply to this message

> Hi. I was trying to find the most efficient way to code a mesh for a perfect
> hemisphere.  I could probably do it if I were to break out a while loop with a
> couple thousand entries in the spline based on trig functions.  But it would
> really help to know the simplest way to define one.  So far I haven't hit on it
> with quadratic spline, supposed I will next try cubic.
>
> TIA for any help.

Forget it - you can't get a perfect arc section from cubic (or
lower-order) splines. As for the other fancy splines in POV-Ray, they're
actually just cubic splines in disguise.

Post a reply to this message

> > Hi. I was trying to find the most efficient way to code a mesh for a perfect
> > hemisphere.  I could probably do it if I were to break out a while loop with a
> > couple thousand entries in the spline based on trig functions.  But it would
> > really help to know the simplest way to define one.  So far I haven't hit on it
> > with quadratic spline, supposed I will next try cubic.
> >
> > TIA for any help.
>
> Forget it - you can't get a perfect arc section from cubic (or
> lower-order) splines. As for the other fancy splines in POV-Ray, they're
> actually just cubic splines in disguise.

The best way (outside of just using a sphere object) would be a rationally built
and calculated mesh.  The basic math for a hemisphere is simple, the most
difficult part is organizing the points into faces.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

Am 27.02.2011 05:21, schrieb Trevor G Quayle:

> The best way (outside of just using a sphere object) would be a rationally built
> and calculated mesh.  The basic math for a hemisphere is simple, the most
> difficult part is organizing the points into faces.

Even that is pretty simple, unless you insist on using a mesh2,
optimizing the computations, and/or going for an optimal distribution of
vertices.

Post a reply to this message

> > Hi. I was trying to find the most efficient way to code a mesh for a perfect
> > hemisphere.  I could probably do it if I were to break out a while loop with a
> > couple thousand entries in the spline based on trig functions.  But it would
> > really help to know the simplest way to define one.  So far I haven't hit on it
> > with quadratic spline, supposed I will next try cubic.
> >
> > TIA for any help.
>
> Forget it - you can't get a perfect arc section from cubic (or
> lower-order) splines. As for the other fancy splines in POV-Ray, they're
> actually just cubic splines in disguise.

Wow.  Your claim is compatible with my extensive experimentation, but it blows
my mind that splines cannot do this. Aside from hand-calc-ing the trig.
thanks.

Aside: who's gotten the furthest with elegant solutions to hand-typed (er,
procedurally generated) bicubic meshes?

Post a reply to this message