POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Most efficient way to code a hemisphere (lathe.inc) : Re: Most efficient way to code a hemisphere (lathe.inc) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most efficient way to code a hemisphere (lathe.inc)
From: gregjohn
Date: 1 Mar 2011 07:25:00
Message: <web.4d6ce4c336e168b634d207310@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> The end point of the firts spline must coincide with the first point of
> the second one. The last control point of the first spline must coinside
> with the secont point of the second spline. The first control point of
> the second spline must coinside with the second to last point of the
> first spline.
>
> That way, the slope and curvature will continue smoothly across the seam.
>
> For the spline to closely follow the path of a circle, you need to
> increase the number of points. You can place them evenly at constant
> angle using sin and cos.
> You'll probably need at least 10 points in a quarter circle, plus the
> control points.

Thanks. Ultimately, I'm trying to hand-roll procedurally generated heads. I'd
use a lathe for the cap and then MSM's or COON's for "strips" around the head.
Knowing I could put in arbitrary values and keep them smooth in this way will be
of great help.  Didn't explicitly need spheres, per se.  thanks.