POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray vs vray render quality Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  povray vs vray render quality (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: optima
Subject: povray vs vray render quality
Date: 13 Dec 2010 15:45:00
Message: <web.4d06852f60b2a7d05ea5bd3c0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I wonder what povray lacks compared to vray. when I look at the renders produced
by vray I get the feeling they are very much up to date and modern looking.

In comparison povray has some awesome images produced so far but at times they
look somehow outdated. I hope you understand what I mean. Is it me or the vray
images are the same as povray quality but just uses better setups(environments,
etc, god knows what else)

I am a raging povray fanboy(45 yrs old though), I wanna see it rule the
raytracing scene, oh gosh.

This question has been bugging me for  a year or two, I had to ask it, sorry if
I offended anyone by any remark, my intentions are clear by the fanboy comment.
I really want to know what people's take on this is, since most of them (you
know who you are) are far more knowledgeable than me.

So the question is how do you compare povray to vray in/on any scale you choose?

I will appreciate any answer. Thank you.

Post a reply to this message

> So the question is how do you compare povray to vray in/on any scale you choose?

I don't compare it at all. One is a freeware open source renderer with
built-in modelling language, the other is a commercial proprietary
render engine available as a "plug-in" to commercial modelling tools.

Post a reply to this message

> I wonder what povray lacks compared to vray. when I look at the renders produced
> by vray I get the feeling they are very much up to date and modern looking.
>
> In comparison povray has some awesome images produced so far but at times they
> look somehow outdated. I hope you understand what I mean. Is it me or the vray
> images are the same as povray quality but just uses better setups(environments,
> etc, god knows what else)
>
> I am a raging povray fanboy(45 yrs old though), I wanna see it rule the
> raytracing scene, oh gosh.
>
> This question has been bugging me for  a year or two, I had to ask it, sorry if
> I offended anyone by any remark, my intentions are clear by the fanboy comment.
> I really want to know what people's take on this is, since most of them (you
> know who you are) are far more knowledgeable than me.
>
> So the question is how do you compare povray to vray in/on any scale you choose?
>
> I will appreciate any answer. Thank you.

You want to compare the offering of two totaly different groups of artists.
POV-Ray users are mostly hobyists using a great free tool.

vray seems to be a comercial addon for other comercial renderers, and
thus, mostly used by professional artists using it for a living.

It is thus unrealistic to compare the end products.

Alain

Post a reply to this message