POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray vs vray render quality : Re: povray vs vray render quality Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray vs vray render quality
From: scott
Date: 14 Dec 2010 05:37:22
Message: <4d0748e2$1@news.povray.org>
> 1) vray has a bigger library of good looking textures, where the stock
> povray textures are, well, lacking. It seems that most good artists here
> create their own or use what others post on the newsgroups or websites.
> This leads to more ability to make custom looks in povray, but at the
> expense of a considerable amount of time and requires that you have some
> expertise yourself.

This is the main reason, plus realistic lighting/environment setups
ready-made.  It's all too easy with POV to create unrealistic looking
scenes purely because of bad textures and lighting.

Fundamentally I don't think there is anything POV is lacking to prevent
you creating very realistic scenes similar to other commercial renderers.