POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray vs vray render quality : Re: povray vs vray render quality Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray vs vray render quality
From: CShake
Date: 13 Dec 2010 18:08:24
Message: <4d06a768$1@news.povray.org>
On 2010-12-13 15:42, optima wrote:
> So the question is how do you compare povray to vray in/on any scale you choose?

Well, after looking at the feature list for vray and sample renders, a
few obvious things stand out:

1) vray has a bigger library of good looking textures, where the stock
povray textures are, well, lacking. It seems that most good artists here
create their own or use what others post on the newsgroups or websites.
This leads to more ability to make custom looks in povray, but at the
expense of a considerable amount of time and requires that you have some
expertise yourself.

2) vray has GPU acceleration. I know the official stance here is that
povray needs to work with double instead of float, but nowadays CUDA
allows for that (at reduced speed) and really, there probably are places
in the scene where floats would work fine.

3) I'd assume vray has more efficient "SDL parsing" or their version of
it, because they mention reusable things for animations and the like.
POV-Ray speed can be increased considerably by unrolling loops, that
should tell you something (besides that it's an interpreted language).
The whole bit with opening an included file every time you call
something inside it also is a negative for pov in the speed department,
but allows for more powerful macros.

4) vray advertises motion blur, bokeh on DoF, ... All things that _can_
be done with povray but require someone to write macros.

Overall, I'd say that their main strength is the stock selection of
materials and textures and the like, with a boost from (advertised)
real-time rendering by using GPUs.
POV-Ray's strength in comparison is the lack of "hacks" to speed things
up such as ambient occlusion, instead focusing on providing an
"accurate" image for what you want. It may be slower, but it's more
physically realistic if you get your parameters correct.

If one wants to say the adage "you get what you pay for", well, I'm
getting a heck of a better cost/results ratio from povray than I would
get from vray! If I were doing professional work I'd probably be using
one of the commercial packages for the reason that I'd be paying someone
else to spend the time to make the materials and tracer so I would only
have to spend time on the modeling itself, but I'm not.

That's really what it boils down to, what's the value of your time? I
would posit that given enough experience and time a good artist could
get an image from povray that would look as if not more realistic than
one from vray, but it might take quite a while.