POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray vs vray render quality : Re: povray vs vray render quality Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray vs vray render quality
From: Alain
Date: 13 Dec 2010 16:48:08
Message: <4d069498@news.povray.org>

> Hi,
>
> I wonder what povray lacks compared to vray. when I look at the renders produced
> by vray I get the feeling they are very much up to date and modern looking.
>
> In comparison povray has some awesome images produced so far but at times they
> look somehow outdated. I hope you understand what I mean. Is it me or the vray
> images are the same as povray quality but just uses better setups(environments,
> etc, god knows what else)
>
> I am a raging povray fanboy(45 yrs old though), I wanna see it rule the
> raytracing scene, oh gosh.
>
> This question has been bugging me for  a year or two, I had to ask it, sorry if
> I offended anyone by any remark, my intentions are clear by the fanboy comment.
> I really want to know what people's take on this is, since most of them (you
> know who you are) are far more knowledgeable than me.
>
> So the question is how do you compare povray to vray in/on any scale you choose?
>
> I will appreciate any answer. Thank you.

You want to compare the offering of two totaly different groups of artists.
POV-Ray users are mostly hobyists using a great free tool.

vray seems to be a comercial addon for other comercial renderers, and
thus, mostly used by professional artists using it for a living.

It is thus unrealistic to compare the end products.

Alain