POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray vs vray render quality : Re: povray vs vray render quality Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray vs vray render quality
From: clipka
Date: 13 Dec 2010 19:31:06
Message: <4d06baca@news.povray.org>
Am 14.12.2010 00:08, schrieb CShake:

> 2) vray has GPU acceleration. I know the official stance here is that
> povray needs to work with double instead of float, but nowadays CUDA
> allows for that (at reduced speed) and really, there probably are places
> in the scene where floats would work fine.

That /used/ to be the official stance, when double precision floating
point arithmetics wasn't available in GPUs.

While this is a non-issue nowadays, there are other remaining issues
that make GPU use problematic (most notably the inavailability of
recursions) as well as of low benefit (most notably the fact that GPUs
are most efficient on bulk data that undergoes the same
transformations). Avoiding those issues is possible, but in the case of
POV-Ray would require a complete redesign of its internal architecture.

> 4) vray advertises motion blur, bokeh on DoF, ... All things that _can_
> be done with povray but require someone to write macros.

In the case of bokeh, macros are no longer needed (with version 3.7 that
is) ;-)