POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : image map on buildings Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  image map on buildings (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: CAD-Andi
Subject: image map on buildings
Date: 19 Jul 2010 14:35:00
Message: <web.4c449a983096a3c4bf952ed30@news.povray.org>
I have converted wrl building data and would like to map the four sides and the
top image maps of the building to the mesh. The shape of the buildings is manly
cubical. How do I prevent the image to show up on the opposite site? I read
about Chris Colefax's and Ron Parker's "Coin" Solution, but I need a little help
to understand the "radial" pigment_map keyword and maybe someone can give me a
simplified example of how to use this method to map a image to ONE side of a
cube.

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

> I have converted wrl building data and would like to map the four sides and the
> top image maps of the building to the mesh. The shape of the buildings is manly
> cubical. How do I prevent the image to show up on the opposite site? I read
> about Chris Colefax's and Ron Parker's "Coin" Solution, but I need a little help
> to understand the "radial" pigment_map keyword and maybe someone can give me a
> simplified example of how to use this method to map a image to ONE side of a
> cube.
>
> Thanks

I think that wrl data is mesh based. If that's the case, you can uv map
your images onto it easily.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> I think that wrl data is mesh based. If that's the case, you can uv map
> your images onto it easily.

Yes, my buildings are meshes, but they are not just plain cubes (sorry if my
earlier description was a little misleading). They are full fletched buildings
with window frames and architectual 3d detail. I don't think uv-mapping will
work for me in that case. Don't you think?

Andi

Post a reply to this message

>> I think that wrl data is mesh based. If that's the case, you can uv map
>> your images onto it easily.
>>

> Yes, my buildings are meshes, but they are not just plain cubes (sorry if my
> earlier description was a little misleading). They are full fletched buildings
> with window frames and architectual 3d detail. I don't think uv-mapping will
> work for me in that case. Don't you think?

You may need to have an inside mesh and an outside mesh if your meshes
have no thickness. If they do you could try using UVMapper
http://www.uvmapper.com/

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>I have converted wrl building data and would like to map the four sides and
>the
> top image maps of the building to the mesh. The shape of the buildings is
> manly
> cubical. How do I prevent the image to show up on the opposite site? I
> read
> about Chris Colefax's and Ron Parker's "Coin" Solution, but I need a
> little help
> to understand the "radial" pigment_map keyword and maybe someone can give
> me a
> simplified example of how to use this method to map a image to ONE side of
> cube.

Have you tried Poseray? It can read wrl data and export to POV-Ray. Are the
images already attached to the wrl models? then chances are that they will
be placed right already in Poseray. Just my 2 cts as I am not familiar with
wrl.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> Have you tried Poseray? It can read wrl data and export to POV-Ray. Are the
> images already attached to the wrl models? then chances are that they will
> be placed right already in Poseray. Just my 2 cts as I am not familiar with
> wrl.
>
> Thomas

Poseray is exactly what I needed! THANKS!! You Guy's are awesome! I also have
3ds data of the stuff I need to use. Came through beautifully! With textures and
everything! I'm just blown away! Thanks again!

Andi

Post a reply to this message

>> I think that wrl data is mesh based. If that's the case, you can uv map
>> your images onto it easily.
>>

> Yes, my buildings are meshes, but they are not just plain cubes (sorry if my
> earlier description was a little misleading). They are full fletched buildings
> with window frames and architectual 3d detail. I don't think uv-mapping will
> work for me in that case. Don't you think?
>
> Andi

UV maping will work for any mesh, whatever it's exact shape. If the
facade have columns, it can map around them.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Jul 2010 03:07:12
Message: <4c469ca0$1@news.povray.org>
> Poseray is exactly what I needed! THANKS!! You Guy's are awesome! I also
> have
> 3ds data of the stuff I need to use. Came through beautifully! With
> textures and
> everything! I'm just blown away! Thanks again!

FlyerX rules! :-)

Thomas