POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blender Vs PovRay Server Time
16 May 2024 03:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Blender Vs PovRay (Message 11 to 20 of 44)
From: stbenge
Subject: Re: Blender Vs PovRay
Date: 23 Oct 2008 17:49:47
Message: <4900f17b@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> stbenge escreveu:
>
> Tapestry!  yes, no way of doing that in Blender alone, particularly as
> it employs a loop to define further iterations to the warps... I could
> try to manually do those transforms, or perhaps learn how to script it
> with python... :/

Are you backing down from the challenge? :)

I find myself using loops for patterns all the time, as it's one of the
ways to add a great deal of complexity to them.

>>> On a side note, Blender also has an internal radiosity engine, along
>>> with a raytracer.
>>
>> AFAIK, Blender only has ambient occlusion built in to its renderer.
>> You can color your object based on a sky texture (which actually looks
>> pretty good), but it's not true radiosity.
>
> I'll do a test at home, but I'm pretty sure the tools in the Radio
> panels mean true radiosity baking.  They are separate from the occlusion
> pass.

You and Jerome are absolutely right; I forgot all about Blender's
ability to bake radiosity into objects. I don't ever use this feature,
as it difficult to use and not very dynamic. You have to re-bake all the
objects if you want to change something. It's a nice feature to have
though, since you can precompute the radiosity for games and animations.

>> There is built-in support for YAFRay, but (with the new releases of
>> Blender) it has become difficult to use, as you get no preview of the
>> image as it renders. Plus YAFRay doesn't support all of Blender's
>> rendering options and materials... I find using YAFRay a pain in the
>> @ss, and usually opt to use POV-Ray if I need radiosity.
>
> Blender's internal renderer is becoming better and better.  It features
> a mix of scanline and raytracing, plus the ambient occlusion pass and
> radiosity.  I think only photon mapping and media are missing.  In the
> galleries, many incredible images are rendered internally...

I agree with you on all points. Blender is coming along quite nicely, to
be sure. It looks like a kind of media will be available soon (it
already is for certain test builds), and radiosity will also be
available in the form of "light cuts," a technique which tends to look
rather nice and is almost indistinguishable from true radiosity.

As it stands now, Blender's ambient occlusion+environment-based lighting
works very well. If the sky texture has a bright spot for a "light
source," it will actually cause objects to cast shadows.

Sam

Post a reply to this message