POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Clouds in POV-Ray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Clouds in POV-Ray (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: David Buck
Subject: Clouds in POV-Ray
Date: 4 Feb 2008 11:41:48
Message: <47a7404c$1@news.povray.org>
One question that will likely come up in the FLOSS interview on
Wednesday is how POV-Ray renders clouds. I have an answer from when I
used to write cloud textures years ago - procedural textures with shades
of gray and transparency and a gradient sphere.

Is there a better more modern way to create spectacular clouds?  Many of
the clouds I'm seeing seem to go beyond the simple texturing technique I
used to use.

Thanks
David Buck

Post a reply to this message

David Buck nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/02/04 11:41:
> One question that will likely come up in the FLOSS interview on
> Wednesday is how POV-Ray renders clouds. I have an answer from when I
> used to write cloud textures years ago - procedural textures with shades
> of gray and transparency and a gradient sphere.
>
> Is there a better more modern way to create spectacular clouds?  Many of
> the clouds I'm seeing seem to go beyond the simple texturing technique I
> used to use.
>
> Thanks
> David Buck
Volumetric clouds using scattering media.

--
Alain
Lutheran: If shit happens, don't talk about it.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 4 Feb 2008 12:10:00
Message: <web.47a745ecbaeb603dfba9d8b70@news.povray.org>
one simpler and cost-effective way to render better clouds than simple textures
is the so-called stacked sky technique as employed by Jaime Vives Piqueres:

http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=Stacked_Planes

not as impressive as true scattering media clouds, but insanely faster!  And
much better looking than just single texture.

Post a reply to this message

From: Hymyly
Date: 4 Feb 2008 12:15:01
Message: <web.47a746bebaeb603d63108fea0@news.povray.org>
David Buck skribis:
> Is there a better more modern way to create spectacular clouds?  Many of
> the clouds I'm seeing seem to go beyond the simple texturing technique I
> used to use.

Project Tierra, an automated landscape generation macro by Jaime Vives Piqueres
has the most beautiful clouds I've ever seen in POV-ray. It contains macros for
both cumulus and cirrus clouds, and the basic technique for creating one cloud
is this (if I read the code correctly).

1. Creating a union of spheres randomly jittered about a central point.
2. Using this union object as a pigment function. (Inside = 1, outside = 0)
3. Adding some turbulence for fluffiness.
4. Using the resulting function as a density function for a scattering medium.

See for yourself at:

http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=Project_Tierra

Personally, I like this macro so much I want to have sex with it.

Hymyly.
And there was light.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 4 Feb 2008 12:35:01
Message: <web.47a74babbaeb603dfba9d8b70@news.povray.org>
"Hymyly" <chr### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Personally, I like this macro so much I want to have sex with it.

whoa!  You sure know this guy has been raytracing too long! :D

Post a reply to this message

From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 4 Feb 2008 13:20:44
Message: <47a7577c$1@news.povray.org>
"David Buck" <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote in message
> One question that will likely come up in the FLOSS interview on Wednesday
> is how POV-Ray renders clouds. I have an answer from when I used to write
> cloud textures years ago - procedural textures with shades of gray and
> transparency and a gradient sphere.
>
> Is there a better more modern way to create spectacular clouds?  Many of
> the clouds I'm seeing seem to go beyond the simple texturing technique I
> used to use.

I tend to use my own fastclouds macro, which uses a texturing technique that
is slightly more complicated than the with povray included cloud-textures.

some examples:
http://www.povplace.com/gallery/Experiments/newfastclouds.jpg
http://www.povplace.com/gallery/Experiments/flares_test1.jpg

It's not as goodlooking, or as flexible as volumetric clouds, even stacked
planes look better (or stacked spheres, as I used here:
http://www.povplace.com/gallery/IRTC/zee.jpg ), but it renders a LOT faster
:)

cu!
--
#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*C/50#end#macro _(b,e,k,l)#local C=0;#while(C<50)
sphere{G(b,e)+3*z.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1;

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 4 Feb 2008 13:45:01
Message: <web.47a75ce6baeb603dfba9d8b70@news.povray.org>
"Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:
> http://www.povplace.com/gallery/IRTC/zee.jpg ), but it renders a LOT faster

oh!  I've seen this scene before... very good looking... stacked spheres?!

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 4 Feb 2008 13:48:27
Message: <47a75dfb$1@news.povray.org>

> stacked spheres?!

Concentric, I guess.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 4 Feb 2008 13:53:53
Message: <47a75f41@news.povray.org>
David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
> Is there a better more modern way to create spectacular clouds?

  Everyone mentions volumetric clouds, but nobody gives an example,
so here's one:

http://www.oyonale.com/image.php?lang=en&mode=info&code=432&section=2003

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 4 Feb 2008 14:02:58
Message: <47a76162$1@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> wrote in message

>> stacked spheres?!
>
> Concentric, I guess.

yep, that's what I meant :)

cu!