POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Clouds in POV-Ray : Re: Clouds in POV-Ray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:28:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clouds in POV-Ray
From: Hymyly
Date: 4 Feb 2008 12:15:01
Message: <web.47a746bebaeb603d63108fea0@news.povray.org>
David Buck skribis:
> Is there a better more modern way to create spectacular clouds?  Many of
> the clouds I'm seeing seem to go beyond the simple texturing technique I
> used to use.

Project Tierra, an automated landscape generation macro by Jaime Vives Piqueres
has the most beautiful clouds I've ever seen in POV-ray. It contains macros for
both cumulus and cirrus clouds, and the basic technique for creating one cloud
is this (if I read the code correctly).

1. Creating a union of spheres randomly jittered about a central point.
2. Using this union object as a pigment function. (Inside = 1, outside = 0)
3. Adding some turbulence for fluffiness.
4. Using the resulting function as a density function for a scattering medium.

See for yourself at:

http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=Project_Tierra

Personally, I like this macro so much I want to have sex with it.

Hymyly.
And there was light.