POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : hyper-treading in PovRay Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  hyper-treading in PovRay (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: H  Karsten
Subject: hyper-treading in PovRay
Date: 2 Jan 2008 07:40:01
Message: <web.477b84569d2ee969ead2f34a0@news.povray.org>
Hi, we use PovRay for a film-documentary (underwater scenes).

The implementation of the hyper-treading in povray would speed up our rendering
about 5GHz.
We using this machine with 8 cores, 16 with hyper-treading:
http://supermicro.com/products/system/4U/8044/SYS-8044T-8R.cfm
Are there any planes to build in hyper-treading into the render process in
PovRay?

Ps.: My job is to visualise the diving from whales, using so called "d-tag"
data. (These are real data recorded from real wales)
To make a complete automated process from reading the data to rendering the
image, I've created a way to use PovRay with "bones". Means that PovRay it self
edit the geometric data (vertices and normals) of the whale while rendering. If
there is any interesting in it, I would like to share the trick, and the
program I've wrote for.

Post a reply to this message

> Are there any planes to build in hyper-treading into the render process in
> PovRay?

  No. The closest you get is the multithreading support in POV-Ray 3.7.

  According to my own experiments hyperthreading can speed up slightly
a multithreading application like pov3.7.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

H. Karsten nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/02 07:38:
> Hi, we use PovRay for a film-documentary (underwater scenes).
>
> The implementation of the hyper-treading in povray would speed up our rendering
> about 5GHz.
> We using this machine with 8 cores, 16 with hyper-treading:
> http://supermicro.com/products/system/4U/8044/SYS-8044T-8R.cfm
> Are there any planes to build in hyper-treading into the render process in
> PovRay?
>
> Ps.: My job is to visualise the diving from whales, using so called "d-tag"
> data. (These are real data recorded from real wales)
> To make a complete automated process from reading the data to rendering the
> image, I've created a way to use PovRay with "bones". Means that PovRay it self
> edit the geometric data (vertices and normals) of the whale while rendering. If
> there is any interesting in it, I would like to share the trick, and the
> program I've wrote for.

You seem to confuse multi-treading (real processors/cores) and hyper-treading
(virtual processors on a single core). It look like you have 8 processors/cores
(solod speed gain) each split into 2 virtual processors (marginal speed gain).
Release POV-Ray version (3.6x) use only 1 tread while rendering.
The 3.7 beta version will use any available processors/cores available, unless
instructed otherwise.
In your case, it could mean an about eightfold acceleration. Multi-treading will
give close to 8x acceleration and hyper-treading another 1.1 to 1.2 gain (maybe).

--
Alain
deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Post a reply to this message

From: H  Karsten
Date: 3 Jan 2008 08:25:00
Message: <web.477ce13cf997677302b6a370@news.povray.org>
> You seem to confuse multi-treading (real processors/cores) and hyper-treading
> (virtual processors on a single core). It look like you have 8 processors/cores
> (solod speed gain) each split into 2 virtual processors (marginal speed gain).
> Release POV-Ray version (3.6x) use only 1 tread while rendering.
> The 3.7 beta version will use any available processors/cores available, unless
> instructed otherwise.
> In your case, it could mean an about eightfold acceleration. Multi-treading will
> give close to 8x acceleration and hyper-treading another 1.1 to 1.2 gain (maybe).

I have actually 4 Processors with 2 physical cores. If I activate Hyper
treading, I have 4 virtual cores in each processor. This gives my 16 virtual
cores... However, if I turn one Hyper treading without having an good hyper
treading working software, the rendering is slower! Without HT, PovRay is
rendering good with 8 cores.

Post a reply to this message

From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 5 Jan 2008 00:18:13
Message: <477f1315$1@news.povray.org>
That is a pretty decent system.
How much did it set you back?

ian

"H. Karsten" <h-karsten()web.de> wrote in message
> Hi, we use PovRay for a film-documentary (underwater scenes).
>
> The implementation of the hyper-treading in povray would speed up our
> rendering
> about 5GHz.
> We using this machine with 8 cores, 16 with hyper-treading:
> http://supermicro.com/products/system/4U/8044/SYS-8044T-8R.cfm
> Are there any planes to build in hyper-treading into the render process in
> PovRay?
>
> Ps.: My job is to visualise the diving from whales, using so called
> "d-tag"
> data. (These are real data recorded from real wales)
> To make a complete automated process from reading the data to rendering
> the
> image, I've created a way to use PovRay with "bones". Means that PovRay it
> self
> edit the geometric data (vertices and normals) of the whale while
> rendering. If
> there is any interesting in it, I would like to share the trick, and the
> program I've wrote for.

Post a reply to this message

From: H  Karsten
Date: 7 Jan 2008 08:20:00
Message: <web.4782264cf997677801ffd4b0@news.povray.org>
Hi Warp.

I've made a benchmark test with PovRay Beta (windows version ,"Run Benchmark,
All CPUs" under render menu)

average 1590.86 PPS with    HT over 262144 Pixels
average 2336.98 PPS without HT over 262144 Pixels

Is it possible, that the maximum CPU-count in PovRay is 8?

Even if PovRay only take 8 Cores instead of 16 (with HT) the average PPS would
not reach its count while HT is turned of.

Any idea, what this could be?

HK

From: H  Karsten
Date: 7 Jan 2008 08:30:00
Message: <web.478228dcf997677801ffd4b0@news.povray.org>
Hi ian,

since one year I have this machine. Don't know, what it costs to day, I've paid
about 9800 Euro for it (Each processor costs about 1000 euros, and the board
with the Chassis was 3000)

The machine is fast, but loud!! I have about 10 meters cable on it for the
monitor and access it by using synergy from my laptop. There is also a little
"IPMI" device in it which lets me access the bios and powercontrollers, using
TCP.
Very funny!

"[GDS|Entropy]" <gds### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> That is a pretty decent system.
> How much did it set you back?
>
> ian

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 8 Jan 2008 10:55:19
Message: <47839ce7@news.povray.org>
H. Karsten nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/07 08:27:
> Hi ian,
>
> since one year I have this machine. Don't know, what it costs to day, I've paid
> about 9800 Euro for it (Each processor costs about 1000 euros, and the board
> with the Chassis was 3000)
>
> The machine is fast, but loud!! I have about 10 meters cable on it for the
> monitor and access it by using synergy from my laptop. There is also a little
> "IPMI" device in it which lets me access the bios and powercontrollers, using
> TCP.
> Very funny!
>
> "[GDS|Entropy]" <gds### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> That is a pretty decent system.
>> How much did it set you back?
>>
>> ian

Ever tought of water cooling? No or much less noisy fans.

--
Alain
Please hassle me, I thrive on stress.

Post a reply to this message

From: alphaQuad
Date: 8 Jan 2008 11:40:00
Message: <web.4783a6f2f997677dd8cd50d0@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> Ever tought of water cooling? No or much less noisy fans.
>
> --
> Alain
> Please hassle me, I thrive on stress.

What? Wake up before you post! Maybe some root tea. Hassle Hassle
:)

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 8 Jan 2008 19:12:20
Message: <47841164$1@news.povray.org>
alphaQuad nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/08 11:38:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>
>> Ever tought of water cooling? No or much less noisy fans.
>>
>> --
>> Alain
>> Please hassle me, I thrive on stress.
>
> What? Wake up before you post! Maybe some root tea. Hassle Hassle
> :)

It's about the quote or me reply?

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when your personal correspondence to