POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : hyper-treading in PovRay : Re: hyper-treading in PovRay Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hyper-treading in PovRay
From: H  Karsten
Date: 3 Jan 2008 08:25:00
Message: <web.477ce13cf997677302b6a370@news.povray.org>
> You seem to confuse multi-treading (real processors/cores) and hyper-treading
> (virtual processors on a single core). It look like you have 8 processors/cores
> (solod speed gain) each split into 2 virtual processors (marginal speed gain).
> Release POV-Ray version (3.6x) use only 1 tread while rendering.
> The 3.7 beta version will use any available processors/cores available, unless
> instructed otherwise.
> In your case, it could mean an about eightfold acceleration. Multi-treading will
> give close to 8x acceleration and hyper-treading another 1.1 to 1.2 gain (maybe).

I have actually 4 Processors with 2 physical cores. If I activate Hyper
treading, I have 4 virtual cores in each processor. This gives my 16 virtual
cores... However, if I turn one Hyper treading without having an good hyper
treading working software, the rendering is slower! Without HT, PovRay is
rendering good with 8 cores.