POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can POV be made to "ignore" lights beyond a certain distance? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Can POV be made to "ignore" lights beyond a certain distance? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Mike the Elder
Subject: Can POV be made to "ignore" lights beyond a certain distance?
Date: 18 May 2007 15:10:01
Message: <web.464df9a83f9f67649073c0250@news.povray.org>
I'm working on a scene which I would eventually like to light with numerous
"torches" (point lights with fade_distance & fade_power).  Is there a way,
in order to speed up rendering, to cause illumination to be calculated only
for objects within a certain distance of the light source, ignoring those
further away for which the amount of illumination contributed would be very
small?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Regards,
Mike C.

Post a reply to this message

Mike the Elder <zer### [at] wyanorg> wrote:
> I'm working on a scene which I would eventually like to light with numerous
> "torches" (point lights with fade_distance & fade_power).  Is there a way,
> in order to speed up rendering, to cause illumination to be calculated only
> for objects within a certain distance of the light source, ignoring those
> further away for which the amount of illumination contributed would be very
> small?

  You could try to divide your scene into sections and then use
light groups to selectively light only certain sections with certain
lights.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   You could try to divide your scene into sections and then use
> light groups to selectively light only certain sections with certain
> lights.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

I'm hoping that I won't have to do that because the scene contains long
"walls" that would have to be broken up into pieces that could be included
or excluded from the various light groups, but still, that's the best
option so far and I thank you for it.

Regards,
Mike C.

Post a reply to this message

"Mike the Elder" <zer### [at] wyanorg> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> >
> >   You could try to divide your scene into sections and then use
> > light groups to selectively light only certain sections with certain
> > lights.
> >
> > --
> >                                                           - Warp
>
> I'm hoping that I won't have to do that because the scene contains long
> "walls" that would have to be broken up into pieces that could be included
> or excluded from the various light groups, but still, that's the best
> option so far and I thank you for it.
>
> Regards,
> Mike C.

You could also define a distance vector from the camera to the light source,
then check that before the rendering and only render those that are within
some threshold.

Good luck,
Mike S.

Post a reply to this message